Monday, December 3, 2007

A little Meltdown

In response to a tri club thread titled "The Meat Thread", I had a little meltdown.

Here is what I wrote:

I think living to any absolute standard is nearly impossible.

Many vegans I know define the lifestyle as "making a reasonable effort to avoid using animal products". Nothing human is %100.

We live in a society that has used animal products as far back as time has been recorded. Living without animal products can be a great challenge. You have to be very mindful and inquisitive about everything you use. Even then, an animal product will find its way into your life. Maybe mom gives you a leather wallet, or you find out that your beer was filtered with fish bones.

Vegan is not a religion or political party. It is a word used to define a personal choice in diet and lifestyle.
Some of us don't think using animal products is a necessity any longer. Others can't imagine life with out it.
At one time in my life I couldn't imagine life without cigarettes. I also could not imagine finishing an Ironman. Today I can.
For me reducing my impact on the suffering of others is worth what ever effort I am able.

1 comment:

KleoPatra said...

"For me reducing my impact on the suffering of others is worth what ever effort I am able."

That is SO going to be my mantra. Great thoughts...