Tuesday, March 4, 2008

who the hell's tim?

Hi i live in Australia, about 1hr south of Sydney in a coastal town called Kiama. I am 45, I have a 7 year old son and I run ultra marathons. I think I have run around 60 or so in the last 6 years. I have been vegetarian the greater part of my life and vegan for a few years now. My best running would have to have been last year. I ran the Western State 100 mile, the Glasshouse 100 Mile, the Great North Walk 100 mile and the Coast to Kosciuszko 246km 150 mile). I am not anyone special i just love what i do. i think the greatest gift is to find your passion and be able to immerse yourself fully in it.

Does being vegan help me do all this?

Originally I did not really know. but then the other day I was talking to my partner and she reminded me of the time I ran three ultra marathons in 3 weeks or last year how I ran a 45km trail run the weekend after the Glasshouse 100 mile. So i guess being plant powered helps in the recovery process. But that is not why i am vegan it is just an added bonus.

I think this blog is a great idea and am so glad to be part of it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome, and wow! That's a lot of miles! I'm in awe of ultra runners!

Jen said...

Yeah, Tim, this is really impressive. As a (slow) runner constantly battling injuries, I'm really interested to know more about your routine—nutrition, stretching, strengthening, training, etc.

Crystal said...

I am also in awe of people who are long-distance runners. I am a terrible runner. Not because I don't love it, because I do love running, but because I have terrible feet and am just not built for it. I generally have to hold myself back from putting in too many miles and getting injured. So I'll live vicariously through you, Tim! :o)

tim said...

wow thanks. I am happy to post about my routine. I am also really slow which I guess is why i think i went to the long ones. That way you can have a walk and a chat and then a run and then another walk and a chat. You get crew and pacers to join you and it is all just a long long adventure.

the little one said...

Hmmm. Makes me feel like a super wimp for putting off the 10k. Well, I did run one as a leg of an olympic distance tri, but have never done a stand-alone 10k running race. I was supposed to do one a couple of weeks ago. Alas. Good that we all have each other here to inspire us!